Driving Chandler's Streets

Driving Chandler's Streets was a collaborative project with the Chandler Museum and the history department at Chandler Gilbert Community College.  Students researched the origins of street names in Chandler and conducted oral histories with members of families for whom the streets were named.


Downtown streets were paved in 1921, nine years after the town was opened for settlement.  Maricopa County completed the paving, since Chandler was not yet an incorporated town.  Town leaders waited until after the work was completed to incorporate, ensuring that the County would pay for the paving.  The photo looks north on San Marcos Place.  Visible on the left is the Bank of Chandler, and the San Marcos Hotel is in the background beyond the bank.